Friday 11 August 2017

Self-Care Q&A #6 ft. Kayleigh (Brushneen_blog)

Self –Care Q&A/Tag


This week sees the lovely Kayleigh providing the answers to the "Self-Care Q&A". You can find her on Twitter and on her blog.

                                               
1. How do you know when you are in need of some self-care?

I have what's known as a generalised anxiety disorder which comes with many ups and downs, good times and bad, I know that I need to invest in some self care when it starts to become a daily struggle again, when I feel I'm constantly worrying, on edge and physical symptoms become more frequent (racing heart, feeling short of breath, tense etc) and I just feel overwhelmed with it all.

2. Once you are aware that you need to take care of yourself, do you usually do so alone or do you have someone you can go to when you need some TLC?

It's only since I began to blog (approx 2 months ago) that I started to be more open about my mental health and struggles with anxiety. I tend to try and keep it to myself as much as possible but If things get to much and I feel I need some help to help me through whether it's a shoulder to cry on, a chat or both I'll turn to my Fiancé and close family. They have stood by me through so much and continue to do so and I can't thank them enough for that.

3. Do you find it hard to make time for yourself?

I find it very difficult to make time for myself, I think many parents can relate to that, I absolutely love being a mummy and my family are my world but it is easy to … well ... neglect myself I suppose with everything else that needs to be done and making sure everyone else is ok. I think I just need to make a bit more of an effort to look after me as well sometimes.

4. Is there anything that gets in the way of your “me” time/disrupts it (for me: noises outside can put me on edge or if other people are home I need to be mindful of how long I take, say, in the shower)?

Hmmm.. I suppose this can sort of tie in with my previous answer in that there's just not much time for that "me time" i'd say, as silly as it sounds, it's actually mostly myself that gets in the way as I find it hard to relax and I'm always thinking/stressing about what needs to be done so just don't schedule in time for myself.

5. Do you ever feel guilty for having “me” time?

Yes. As much as I know it's important I do always feel so guilty if I have taken some time out for myself even if it's just an hour in the bath! I'll be battling to justify it to myself and thinking about other things I could be getting done or that I should have focused that time on my daughter. It's difficult.

6. Do you schedule in “me” time or do you “go with the flow”/only take “me” time when you feel you need it?

I rarely schedule "me time" it's very much just going with the flow. It's not really a regular thing.

7. Is there a self-care routine that you try to follow?

I wouldn't say I have a routine as such but there are certain things I tend to do when feeling a bit overwhelmed, things that help to ease the anxiety.

8. When you feel down/not like your usual self; what do you do to cheer yourself up (hobbies, being with loved ones etc)?

For me you can't beat a day out with my loved ones, they always manage to cheer me up. I also find reading, writing and music helps to relax me. I'm really enjoying writing my blog and find that quite therapeutic. Another thing that helps is getting out to get some fresh air, a nice walk or even a visit to the park with the little one. I tend to isolate myself when my anxiety is bad yet always feel so much better when I've pushed myself to get out and about.

9. Do you have any mantras that you say to yourself as a pick me up or on a daily basis?

Not really, I just remind myself that I've got through it before and I can do it again and that everything will be ok.

10. Finally; do you have any self-care tips for anyone who might be reading this?

It's something I'm still working on but try not to close up and battle it by yourself, don't be afraid to ask for help and talk, it really does help! Find a hobby or something you enjoy that you can help to calm, relax you and take your mind off any worries/stress. Be kind to yourself, remember that you're important too.


~ How is this the 6th response to this already? Only 4 more left then we'll see about maybe doing a 2nd round, or a new Q&A!

Anxiously,

Me



If you decide to use this, please let me know first and give credit. There’s nothing worse than finding out something that you worked really hard on has been taken and uncredited, sometimes even plagiarised.

If you want to give Anxiously, Me a follow then you can find me at:
and, of course, on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think about this post?

Get To Know Me Part 2

Hi everyone! Here is part 2 of the "Get To Know Me" post that I did last Friday to celebrate one year of being with Blogger. If ...

Anxiously, Me