Thursday 19 October 2017

Self-Care Response #13 ft Kerry

Self-Care Q&A


This week it’s the wonderful Kerry at Don’t Drop the Baby’s turn to write a response! Find out what she had to say below. You can find her on Twitter as well!


1. How do you know when you are in need of some self-care?
When I start to get snappy with my family, my chest starts to get tight, and intrusive thoughts start to appear again. This also happens when I'm extremely tired or have PMT!


2. Once you are aware that you need to take care of yourself, do you usually do so alone or do you have someone you can go to when you need some TLC?
I am very much a loner, especially when I am feeling anxious or overwhelmed. I need to spend time by myself either listening to music or being mindful.


3. Do you find it hard to make time for yourself?
Yes definitely. I have a 3 year old daughter, my partner works shifts, and neither of us have any family nearby. My 'me time' is squeezed into a couple of hours every evening! Although my daughter has started nursery now so things will get easier.


4. Is there anything that gets in the way of your “me” time/disrupts it (for me: noises outside can put me on edge or if other people are home I need to be mindful of how long I take, say, in the shower)?
I'm the same with noises outside! Sometimes if I'm extremely anxious and my partner is working nights, I get very jumpy at every little noise. I suppose social media can also affect my 'me time', as sometimes it can wind me up or make me even more anxious!


5. Do you ever feel guilty for having “me” time?
I used to when my daughter was younger, but not so much anymore as I hardly ever get it!


6. Do you schedule in “me” time or do you “go with the flow”/only take “me” time when you feel you need it?
I do try to schedule in nights out with my friends as it gives me something to look forward to. Other than that I very much just go with the flow. I will always tell my partner if I need a break though and he will take my daughter out for a bit on the weekends.


7. Is there a self-care routine that you try to follow?
Yes, I do high intensity cardio workouts every other morning (at home), yoga, follow a healthy diet and use my Headspace app to practice mindfulness.


8. When you feel down/not like your usual self; what do you do to cheer yourself up (hobbies, being with loved ones etc)?
I listen to my favourite music, write my blog and have a couple of glasses of wine. This usually leads to a really good cry and I always feel better the day after.


9. Do you have any mantras that you say to yourself as a pick me up or on a daily basis?
Not on a daily basis, but I usually just say "what will be will be"
                                                                                                                                                                              
10. Finally; do you have any self-care tips for anyone who might be reading this?
I cannot recommend a regular exercise routine strongly enough, it has completely changed my life. I haven't used medication to control my anxiety for years, I do it all through exercise, diet and mindfulness.


~ Thanks again to Kerry for answering the questions! Again, you can find her at https://dontdropthebaby.co.uk/ and https://twitter.com/KerryMeeGee.

Anxiously,
Me

If you decide to use this, please let me know first and give credit. There’s nothing worse than finding out something that you worked really hard on has been taken and uncredited, sometimes even plagiarised.

You can find Anxiously, Me on:
This mental health and lifestyle blog,
Twitter: www.twitter.com/AnxiouslyMeBlog
Facebook: www.facebook.com/AnxiouslyMe
Instagram: www.instagram.com/AnxiouslyMeBlogger



No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think about this post?

Get To Know Me Part 2

Hi everyone! Here is part 2 of the "Get To Know Me" post that I did last Friday to celebrate one year of being with Blogger. If ...

Anxiously, Me